Thursday, July 2, 2009

Day 8 and Recap

Yo Yo!!!

I haven't been on the internet in a couple days.... so I'll try to give a little update on everything so far. Today was Day 8, it's been over a week now. Today was over 90 miles, it really really SUCKED. the route was all sorts of messed up and turns were hard to find. ugh. Anywho. It started out gorgeous this morning, going through beautiful Virginia countryside. I realized last night we were almost out of VA already! We crossed into North Carolina early this morning, and it was still gorgeous until about 50 miles or so, then we had to get on US-1, and it was crappy highway riding. So I'll do a little flashback to the other days, and then I've got to get some SLEEP!!! Red Bulls only last so long!

Baltimore to DC
I got off to a late start b/c Isabel had visited, and we were suppose to leave at our leisure, b/c it was only a 40 mile day, but they switched that while we were eating breakfast so I was the last one out. or as I like to call it DFL. So I rode with the sweeps that day, Alexander and Matt, and it wasn't too bad, b/c they're awesome dudes! We rode pretty fast too, we just took looong breaks waiting for everyone. Sweeps fyi are the last people to leave, and they bring up the rear to make sure no child is left behind! We were riding on a highway for all of the day, and I had a dog of some sort of pitbull mix sprint across 5 lanes of traffic to chase me down. He was a fast little f*!%$# too! He was on my heel, I sprinted out, speeds of upward 25+ mph and he was still on my ass. So I had to clip out and kick at him to back off. I can't believe someone would let their dog run across the highway like that. Retards. Ugh. Well, I think that's all I can muster up for that day, it wasn't too exciting, it's just great to get to know some of the other riders. I was reallllllly tired from the 110 mile day before. really tired.

DC to Bowling Green, VA
This is the night we camped for the first time! The campground was soooo AWESOME! it had a pool, hot tub, internet, washer/dryer, shower, sweet shaded spots, etc etc. It was nice to make dinner on an open fire! and coffee in the morning via my new GSI press. Thank you Selina for the world's best coffee! Check out Alexander's Flikr: HERE he said it's labeled by dates. That was a fun day. I rode with Dade, our Italian Stalion, and Brian on and off that day. Dade was super excited about the US Army tank we saw along the way! Blaise was hardcore and slept outside that night, Dan had a sweet hammock, and it was nice to see everyone's different tents and set-ups, all the same purpose, but no two the same.

Bowling Green to Richmond
Richmond's event was super sweet! It was on a harbor, they fed us pizza, and we had to mingle with the consumers. We rolled through the ghetto for a little. in the ghetto... the ghetto.... Anywho, I swept with Chad that day. Stared at his ass all day, which is nice but boring for 40+ miles. Not a lot to do all day sitting on someone's paceline, or draft, or pull, whatever you want to call it. Just stared at his backside and the bike's backside. Listened to the clickty clack of his drivetrain that desperately needs some tuning. He has good form, and a pretty good pace, I was still tired, but I managed to stick with him on everything but the climbs. Once again, cool to get to know another rider, now I don't think Mr. Chadwick is as big of an asshole as we all made him out to be! haha. He was fun, I learned a couple things from him, he bought me ice cream. You gotta love a guy that buys you ice cream!

Richmond to South Hill, VA
that was a looong ride. I rode it by myself all day, picked up the iPod around 60 miles, and it really helped me through the final 25. You think of a LOT of things, actually any and everything, throughout 6 hours of cycling by yourself. I saw a Mickey and Minnie sign and thought of my momma, I think of T-rex when I pass strawberry stands, Isabel by golf courses, but when "Live to Win" or "Why ya'll test my Gangsta" comes on, you totally gotta smile and think of Gabe! haha. So yeah, that was a pretty ride, but long and boring after a good 3 hours. Oh yeah, almost everyone stopped at Waffle House to get a little brunch/carb load in before the last 40 mile stretch. It helped, and it was nice to get a cup of coffee in. It was nice to see the big We Like Bike truck when the directions start dwindling down, it's pretty much your finish line. I hung out with the Tour managers for din din that night at a steakhouse next door, did laundry, and didn't really get to talk on the phone too much last night.

South Hill, VA to Raleigh, NC
Now we are in NC, which seems to be very pretty. I rode with Lauren today and we did our bit of adventuring! Today was yet another day that mileage was underpredicted. Which really sucks. Especially when it's already 80, so you expect 85ish, but 90+ really sucks. You just run out of energy, motivation, and WATER! We took our sweet time getting lunch at a grocery store and again refilling water after we realized we missed a turn and needed to re-route ourselves. We made it though.... only to have the hotel not have water running. Apartments next door aparently flooded, so they shut it all off. Another awesomeness to a shitty day. And my phone doesn't get any service in my room. But we do have a little half kitchen, which is kinda cool. Allison made some delicious rice/bean/veggie yum yum on the stove and I got a bowl of that. Gonna have bagel bites for breakfast tomorrow! YES! something to look forward to! Well I really have to get to bed, once again, less sleep then I'd like. I love you Lauren! It was awesome riding with her, she seems to be in the same boat as me. Graduated last May, gots no real job from all that educating, and decided to do this ride for a little adventure, and hopeful thinking on the ways of the world afterward. Off I go..... Night night everyone! Wish I could talk about more. I'll put up a little fun project I'm working on soon!!!

Holler! FMAD

PS- I added other rider's blogs to the right hand side if you haven't noticed!

No comments:

Post a Comment